Wednesday, February 20, 2013

A Little Bit of This and a Little Bit of That

As promised here is my post about my furniture re-do.

If you remember, last year I redid a nasty dresser I found in the dumpster and turned it into the beautiful dresser that holds 1/4th of my wardrobe. 

Still pretty!! Don't mind the crap on the floor :/
I am so happy that there is a such thing as a Pinterest because every time something devastating happens, I have a project to make me happy. This project just happen to fall into my lap at the same time my car died...well played baby Jesus!

If you follow my Pinterest you know that I have all these unoriginal ideas to incorporate into my apartment or any future small space. My pinspiration is rather old. I have been searching high and low for a cheap bookcase to turn into a storage bench so that I could have extra seating and...well...storage. I thought Ikea would be my best bet since the pin used the billy bookshelf from the store. To my surprise, Swedish people apparently value their book storage because that shit was kind of expensive. So I gave up looking. 

Pinspiration
Then, one night before the car debacle, I spotted a BIG old wooden entertainment center. I tried retrieving it myself, but alas, it was awkwardly shaped and hard to carry myself. I called in reinforcement and Am Bam helped me get it into my house. 
Gorgeous right? 
So while my car was at the morgue called the mechanic, Blonde Bombshell and I went to the new Wal-mart down the street from my house to grab some supplies. I wasn't sure what I already had at home so we got:
  • Paint
  • Paintbrushes
  • Sand paper
  • Paint thinner
  • Fabric
  • Twin sized mattress pad
Picked out a lovely color and some fun fabric!
First we had to take off those pesky little doors
Caution: Girl with a power drill

Saving these for a later project

Then we sanded

Until we realized that would take forever. So we just skipped to the fun part. Paint!


This is after the first coat. We did two. 
We were literally watching paint dry. So we took on another project:

This is when we finally used the paint thinner
Anyone from Centenary remember these chairs from the dining area in Hardin hall?
College memory revamp! 
Finished project!
Papaya supervised


We then let everything dry overnight...outside. Bad idea. 

Thats bird poop =(
BB took on the feat of making the cushions during her free time so I did some randomness like 

Hang out with puppies
Buy baskets for the bench @ Ross


Go to a Mavs game
Get Gianni Binis for $31.50


Side tracked. Sorry. Back to those cushions!

Dilemma. Trying to figure out how to make a twin size mattress cushion fit on the new bench
Sewing Machine. I need one of those.
Use your centenary education to figure out the dilemma. Two cushions!
Make sure the cushions are comfy
Two finished cushions thanks to the Bombshell!
TA-DA!!
Diamond tested and Papaya approved! 
Boom! New storage bench that is ALLLL me and I only spent $50!! 

Until the next time
















No comments:

Post a Comment